Cooking with only half a kitchen II
Because I had so much fun with my last cooking with half a kitchen post, I couldn’t resist another!
It has been about 6 weeks since we arrived in Toronto and summer seems to be slowly creeping into the city. Everyone here keeps telling me that Toronto is an amazing place when the sun is shining, so I cannot wait to put the winter jumpers away and get the shorts out for a few months.
I am extra excited for May, as we finally move into our apartment. No more living out of a ‘flat’ that feels only slightly larger than a hotel room. Most of this weekend has been spent browsing furniture and home-ware stores trying to get an idea of where the best deals are.
We did take a break from window shopping however, to enjoy what is arguably one of the best brunches in Toronto. I realise I have not been here long enough to appreciate the full range, but Mars Uptown Diner has quickly become my favourite breakfast spot. It is an old-school American feel diner with a fantastic menu.
I had ‘Spring Benedict’ – poached eggs with spinach, avocado, cheese and hollandaise sauce and served with Mars Fries. The picture below just doesn’t do justice how delicious it was.
For anyone interested in trying for themselves, Mars Uptown diner can be found at 2363 Yonge Street, conveniently close to Yonge and Eglinton subway. It does get ridiculously busy around midday, with people queuing out of the door for a table, so I recommend getting there early.
I am still cooking in half a kitchen – roll on May, the new apartment and hopefully the arrival of my boxes from England. Until then, I am keeping recipes simple.
With the sun shining, I wanted to make something healthy, tasty and colourful.
Burrito Bowls: Black Bean and Chicken
Makes 2 servings for dinner (plus extras leftover for lunch)
What you will need:
1 red pepper
Approximately 6 medium sized tomato
1 tin black beans
Salsa (shop bought is fine)
Rice (2 portions)
1 tin sweetcorn
1 carrot, grated
1 garlic clove.
2 chicken breasts
Grated cheese (optional)
- Dice garlic clove and half the chilli (de-seeded). Mix with the juice of half the lime and a sprinkling of black pepper. Season the chicken with the above mix. I wrapped the chicken in foil to keep it moist. Set timer to 35 mins and add to a pre-heated oven (180 degrees Celsius)
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to pack instructions.
- Dice the onion, the other half of the chilli, the pepper and the tomatoes. Add to mixing bowl. Drain and thoroughly rinse the black beans. Add the black beans, sweetcorn and grated carrot to the mixing bowl. Drizzle with the remaining lime juice and mix well.
- Once the rice is cooked add 3-4 generous spoonful’s of salsa to the rice. Stir it in.
- Serve in a bowl. Add rice to the serving dish first, followed by a handful of lettuce, then the bean mix and top with cooked chicken. Add a handful of grated cheese if you like.