A tomato based soup blended with onion, garlic, white beans and red pepper.
Super quick and easy! Ready in only 30 minutes.
(Side story) My week so far…
I feel as though I am waiting for something to happen this week, only I am not too sure yet what it is.
Sorry to use a cliché- but the stars kind of aligned themselves to get my partner and I to Toronto. Everything fell rather mysteriously in place.
For instance, I happened to be in a position work wise where my contract was exceptionally flexible and therefore I could more or less up and leave without causing a trail of destruction behind me. Plus my manager at the time was amazingly supportive about the whole thing and pretty much told me to get on the plane and not worry about them. ‘Take whatever time you need to get yourself organised’, she said.
On top of that, we had started a new tenancy on the house we were renting just before Christmas. So, when we found out we were moving overseas just a month later we had a bit of a panic. We were tied in paying rent for six months. However, a leak in the roof, meaning we couldn’t actually use the main bedroom gave us a bit of a ‘get out of jail free’ card and we managed to end the tenancy early without any fines.
On top of that, my family and my boyfriend’s family were both in a position to keep some of our furniture and ridiculous amounts of ‘stuff’ in safe-keeping, which helped us out a lot with the whole ‘what shall we do with our stuff leaving at such short notice’ dilemma.
I don’t really have any other bio to give you this week other than waiting. I am getting so frustrated with not working, and waiting to start working. But at the same time I feel like there is something good in the future – so I am kind of prepared to sit and twiddle my thumbs and try and keep myself busy until that time comes. All the moons and the stars could not have brought me to Toronto to only wait now, surely.
So here is the promised recipe, Tomato, white bean and red pepper soup!
(Yes I know it is really, unseasonably warm in Toronto at the moment, but this is one I made a while ago and I wanted to add it to my soup series! I have some more salads and summery dishes coming up soon)
You can find the recipe for the garlic bread bites (as in picture) here: Garlic Bread Mini Bites
Total prep and cooking time = 30 minutes; makes 4 servings
What you will need:
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red bell pepper
- Teaspoon paprika
- 1 800ml tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 400g tin white kidney beans
- 750ml hot vegetable stock
- Either handful of chopped fresh basil or teaspoon of dried basil.
- Salt and pepper
- Use a large saucepan. Peel and finely chop the onion. Mince the garlic. Add to the pan with a teaspoon of olive oil and fry for a few minutes until the onion is starting to soften.
- Rinse and chop the red pepper, removing the seeds. Add to pan.
- Add the teaspoon of paprika and stir.
- Add the chopped tomatoes. Thoroughly rinse and add the white kidney beans, the stock, herbs and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil and turn down the heat. Leave the soup to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend using a hand blender until smooth. Serve and enjoy!